Friday, August 22, 2014

Blue Seal Rabbit Pellet Comparison Part 1


We are trying out some new feed. We generally feed our bunnies Blue Seal 16% for winter maintenance and 18% for nursing does and growing kits. Other than that it generally changes because I haven't found anything that I really love. At the county fair show, earlier this month, I was looking at some gorgeous Creme D'argents Rabbits and asked what feed was used to get that amazing fur quality and texture. Blue Seal's Show Hutch Deluxe was the answer and was followed by a long list of reasons that the owner loved this feed. So, I decided to pick some up to see how we liked it. 

I don't know about you but the first thing that I notice is the size difference in those bags. Both are 50 lbs. The one on the left is Blue Seal 18% and the one on the right is Blue Seal 17% Show. I figured that the Show Hutch Deluxe must be less dense and I was right. I weighed out a cup of each and the 18% is 5.5 oz. per cup. The 17% is 3 oz. per cup. What that means exactly in feeding my bunnies .... well, as of yet, I'm not sure. 

So far I am only feeding it to my nursing doe and kits. Their fur seems to be benefiting from the extra vitamins that are added. This particular doe had been eating 4 cups of 18% feed per day or 22 oz. I'm not giving her a hard time about it because she is back in condition and has 10 kits to feed. I'm actually very proud of her. We give treats of rolled oats, grass clippings and garden scraps but our main feed is pellets. With the new feed (17% Show) she and her kits are eating about 6 cups of feed per day, about 18 oz. Does this work out to be savings? Only time will tell.

As far as a monetary savings, that is yet to be determined. The 18% cost about $15 per 50 lb. bag and the 17% costs almost $18 per 50 lb. bag. Here's the math geek breakdown: 


% Protein Feed
& $ Cost/50 lb
     Oz. Per Cup
       Cups Per Bag
       & $ Cost/Cup
     Monthly $ Cost Per Rabbit
@ 11 or 12 oz/day
17% @ $18
   3 oz.
      266 cups/ $0.07
$8.40
18% @ $15
   5.5 oz.
      145 cups/ $0.11
 $6.60 
16% @ $12
   5.5 oz.
      145 cups/ $0.09
 $5.40 

This chart is a fast representation for my own records. The price for each 50 lb. bag of feed was rounded up. The scale I used was not a digital and the cup weight measure is not exact. Oz per bag was calculated at 800 (50 lb bag X 16 oz per lb = 800 oz). I always round costs up and profits down to cover any minor errors. I used 30 days to calculate monthly feed costs. I chose to use the 11 or 12 oz per day ration because that's how much most of my Giant Chins eat.

OK, so it would cost me $8.40 in feed each month to sustain one senior Giant Chinchilla Rabbit on Blue Seal's 17% Show Hutch Deluxe. Do I consider that a good thing or a bad thing? I'm really not sure yet. Of course the chart really doesn't do me any real good because it is only comparing cost per serving. I really need to also compare growth rate in my kits, fur condition, health and I'm sure there are other considerations not coming to me at the moment. I'm sure I could think up a long list of things.

I'll be back monthly (I hope) with updates and more geek charts.

No comments:

Post a Comment